Monday, August 27, 2007

Honesty

Emma has started addressing her siblings as "guys". She used to call them "the kids." But she's bigger now. She had a birthday. Tonight at dinner she eagerly started to make an announcement: "Guys, Guys, I have some news."

Short pause.

"I missed you today."

Ya, my heart melted. Apparently it didn't affect anyone else. I looked at Paul, Rebekah, and Isaac with a stern "aren't you going to say it back to her" look, but nothing. So I said, "Tell her you missed her, too." Isaac went on talking about whatever he was talking about. Paul remained silent. And Rebekah looked at me and sort of under her breath said, "I didn't even think about her."

Then I did the unthinkable. I encouraged her to lie. "Well tell her you missed her anyway." There is a fine, really fine line between lying and bad manners. It's just plain rude to tell someone you didn't miss them, don't ya think?

7 comments:

karin said...

How could you not miss that adorable little face?!
Emma- I miss you. (even though you don't know who I am)

mistyp said...

Ya, there is a fine line... But you have to protect their little hearts at that age, too! :)

Stamp With Linz said...

that's too cute...and way funny on Rebekah's part...at least she wanted to be honest! :)

TonyaKuykendall said...

Emma, I miss you EVERYDAY. You're Jake's best buddy, and for that... I love you.

J & M Shumate Family said...

OH...Emma has grown up so fast! I can still remember the first time you brought her to church. She was TINY! I love that she missed her siblings. It is interesting that they didn't even think about her while they were at school. That may be a good thing. They have such a great Mom that they don't have to worry about their little sister they are leaving behind at home!!! HUGS! (I love your blog......)

Anonymous said...

Poor Emma and she's so excited when they come home, well I miss her when she'd not with me. They missed her they were just busy and excited that school had started. We are all excited that school has started and you don't have to hear I'M bored anymore. HAHA

Anonymous said...

She is adorable!