You know, we moved to Texas when Isaac was only 2 months old. He may not be Texas-born, but he's definitely Texas-bred. For his seventh birthday (which is tomorrow), we had a few friends over to celebrate. Isaac really likes his friends. He talks about them often. Four of the boys that came, two sets of brothers, he's known almost their whole lives. He knows their personalities, their likes and dislikes. Isaac, Kye, and Sam have been together through nursery, primary, pre-school, and every birthday party for the last 6 years. And next year, they'll all be together as they get baptized one-by-one: first Sam, then Kye, then Isaac. (okay, pause here while I blot my teary eyes...)
I've never had such friends. With my dad being in the Navy, and moving every 3 or 4 years, there has never been a friend that I've kept in contact with. When I moved away, I closed that chapter in my life and opened a new one in my new location. Sad, but true. I've had close friends--friends that I would love to speak with again. The friends I think of most are the friends that were involved in my conversion. I lived in Hawaii when I was baptized and my friends talked about going to BYU. Having never even visited Utah, I never thought it was a possibility for me. Besides I wanted to go to MIT, but that's a long story for another post. So every day as I walked the sidewalks of BYU campus, I looked around, hoping to run into one of my friends. The friend I'd love to see again the most is Dana Russell. I tried looking her up at BYU, but if she even attended, she must have gotten married and changed her name. Darn marriage traditions!
Anyway, I'm grateful for the life-long friends Isaac has and the new ones that have found their way here. You can't have too many friends. I hope Isaac and his friends had a great party today. Tyler, Mickie's grandson and a brand-new friend, volunteered to say the prayer on the lunch I served and he prayed, "Please let Isaac have the best birthday I've ever been to." It didn't have to be the best, but I hope Isaac knows I love him. Now I have to get something on for dinner. I can't believe my kids expect me to throw a party and serve dinner in the same day.
2 comments:
I am SO GLAD you are posting, you have such a wonderful way of letting us (your faithful readers) know what is going on with you and your thoughts about life. Reading this post had me thinking about the friends I grew up with. I, like Isaac, had friends I grew up with and I am in contact with most of them. I am grateful for the friends I had growing up and the friends I got when I really did "grow up."
Have you tried Classmates.com to find your friend? People register with maiden and married names.
I vividly remember the first day you attended church after moving here. I remember 2 month old Isaac in his car seat being lugged around by you. I remember you in the hallway by the primary room. You were very shy and didn't seem to want to chat with me, but I knew that first day I met you and Isaac that we would be friends and so would our boys. I just didn't know how grateful I would be for your friendship. You are a WONDERFUL friend with SO MANY gifts and talents that I learn and grow from. I am now strolling down memory lane through the last 7 years of Kye,Sam and Isaac. How fun!!
Post a Comment