My mother-in-law will drive for hours to visit people who are all alone in prison or will travel three states away to mourn with the family a third cousin who has passed. Nobody I know mourns with others or suffers with those that suffer more than she does. She has spent more time in hospitals than some doctors. In times of trouble or pain she is a rock, a sure foundation, but after my wife's hernia surgery she is nowhere to be seen, and I think it's killing her.
She is on a trip to Panama with the man we call Paka. She called several times yesterday and even tried to have my sister-in-law call me and act as an intermediary as they chatted online. I wasn't going to play a new version of the telephone game and got off the phone as quickly as I could. I had no cell reception in the hospital yesterday, and I could feel my mother-in-law's uneasiness from a continent away.
As a family, we really are doing fine as Brandy heals. The day of the surgery we had more offers to help with the children than we could accept . Nana is bringing a roasted chicken today and another family dinner tonight. The children have really been great, too.
I am writing this message to let Faye know that while we are making it just fine, it would be better if she were here. Her experience nurturing the sick and afflicted is enormous, her love for her daughter tremendous.
I know you yearn to be here Faye. Don't worry, and enjoy your time away. I promise to do the best I can to help her right now. If I can just do what I've seen you do, things will turn out just fine.
Saturday, October 27, 2007
Where is Grandma When You Need Her?
Posted by
Paul
at
11:28 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I know ya'll are doing fine, but I still wish I was there. I love you guys
It is nice to have family help but when they are unable friends become family and help. It is wonderful to be able to be a friend that can help.
Let me know if you need help with Emma. We could come get her for preschool, etc.
I can't wait to see Grandma... 6 days and counting!!!! Don't worry. I'll bring her back with me, even if I have to make her sit in first class to do so....
Post a Comment